Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Holy chicken sausages


There's good reason for the rays of light shinning from behind these sausages. It's because they are heavenly! I haven't tried the beef franks yet but any of the chicken sausages are pretty darn tasty. What really won me over while I was deciding whether or not to add these links to my shopping cart was that they don't use pork casing better known as pig intestines. Ick! I think you'd be surprised to know how many chicken sausages come nicely packaged in pork intestines. For some reason that just kinda irks me.
Both natural and organic chicken sausages are made from antibiotic-free, hormone-free, %100 vegetarian fed chickens, preservative-free - no nitrates, no nitrites, no sodium lactate (whatever that is), they are gluten-free and wheat-free, casing- free, and made from skinless chicken leg and thigh meat- no chicken skins, ever! All I can say is that whatever is in them is wonderful.
The only real difference I can see between the natural and the organic sausages is that the organic sausages use organic organic vegetables, herbs and spices.

I think I got these at WholeFoods. You can check Bilinski's website to see where else they are sold.

Two other interesting things I have recently learned about chicken.
1. The leg and thigh meat are as lean as the breast meat. It's is just darker in color because they move those parts and therefore there is more blood circulating in that area.
2. All chicken in the U.S. must be hormone-free and steroid-free as per the USDA. What you want to look out for is antibiotic- free.

2 comments:

DUSKIN said...

good to know. reading this made my mouth water.

zoom zoom zoom said...

worth getting, really!