Thursday, November 13, 2008

All the coffee in New York


Yesterday morning I was heading down to my Paul Smith appointment in Soho when I realized that I no longer know where to get the most delicious latte in the neighborhood.
It has been years since I worked down there and I couldn't really remember where I got coffee back in the day. I would assume it was Starbucks, I used to have a habit. I swore off coffee this past Monday and by Tuesday had a big hot latte in my little hands. A whole 24 hours of coffee abstinence. YAY ME! Can you feel the will power?

Anyways, I was thinking there must a blog about the best coffee joints in various NYC neighborhoods. Right? But how would I go about finding that blog? And it's subjective anyways. So I have decided I will blog about my favorite one off coffee shops.

At my Paul Smith appointment I thought I would asked the locals for their suggestions, specifically asking about the trendy looking place on Houston (at the corner of Greene) called Aroma. They weren't feeling Aroma so much and instead recommended Alessi, that kooky Italian kitchen store. It seems that in the front of their store they have a cafe. Who knew? They serve Joe's coffee and use my favorite espresso machines, FAEMA.

Although it was good I am not quite ready to settle and say it's the best coffee in Soho. What was excited to find was that they sold Amedei chocolate. I don't believe I have seen seen it sold anywhere in NYC since I first heard about last spring. I bought two bars for a total of $19. I know $8 is pretty steap for a chocolate bar but I think it just might be the best chocolate ever. I got the 70% cocoa.
I usually end up eating half of a normal sized chocolate bar in one sitting but with this chocolate two to three squares seems to be all it takes. It is perfectly satisfying, the way a great piece of chocolate should be. Oh, and the packaging is ridiculously chic.

GET YOURS HERE

2 comments:

DUSKIN said...

my favorite latte belongs to gimme, on lorimer.
best ever.

zoom zoom zoom said...

next time you come out here you have to go my coffee joint i have yet to blog about. i actually went to gimme the other day for the first time and well i haven't been back again. but like i said it's subjective.
the place i live for is lula bean. it's on grand st corner of bushwick and they carry ceci-cela and Balthazar pastries, croissants and sticky buns. And they have whole wheat croissants which is sort of unheard of. But since i hardly eat that stuff i mostly just go for the coffee.
it's heaven in the ghetto!