Saturday, November 1, 2008

Gotta love the Frank's


I think I just spent the whole day drinking again! This morning at around 11am I met my friend Laura at her apartment in the L.E.S. for brunch. She lives at her apartment part time so the kitchen isn't exactly stocked. Laura, Justin (her boyfriend), Rory and Amanda all slept there last night and appeared to be just about as useless as I was looking and feeling this morning. Sadly, I can't even say my exhaustion was the repercussion of all night Halloween partying. Actually I spent last night organizing my mail and bills from the past nine years. I feel like this should be the opening line to a joke, something along the lines of... you know you're over thirty when.... but sadly it is not.

In an effort to get the us to rally Laura brewed us some coffee. Once the coffee was ready it was served sans sugar with rice milk and a side of unsweetened carob chips (which we regularly snack on by the handfuls). What I can say about this experience is that we would probably survive just fine in the wilderness. This is yet another great example of us being able to make the best of a situation with what was readily available. At one point there were about six random mugs and tea cups sprawled out across the kitchen counter and I thought I was reaching into tea cup of carob chips and instead found my hand resting in a tepid cup of coffee which belonged to Amanda.

After a little stroll around the neighborhood we settled in at Frankies Spuntino on Clinton St for a dining extravaganza. Brunch was heaven, especially my french toast which practically floated off my plate it was so light and airy. We totally pigged out and collectively drank a least twenty four Bellini's. I would like to mention that the olive oil from Frankies is really quite good, it has a clean and light but deep grassy flavor to it. You can find it at Whole Foods. It's not exactly what I would call budget but I have no trouble justifying it. I suggest that you do not use it sparingly because it will go bad if it's not used quickly enough. I enjoy the flavor of this olive oil so much that I don't really use it for cooking as much as I do to top finished dishes.

Once we were finished stuffing our faces we stopped by De Vino and picked up four bottles of champagne and two bottles of rosé for a post lunch session on Laura's roof. I mean, that's just how warm the first of November was today in NYC, it was rosé weather! I am back home now with a full stomach and have to say today was a beautiful day and we really took full advantage, thanks for lunch Laura!

No comments: