Monday, December 29, 2008

Breakfast in Klosters

Yesterday I decided to take a train ride across Switzerland, from Gstaad to Klosters, to visit my dear friend Marie and her husband Johan, brother Sam and parents Monika and Bruno.

While Switzerland is a rather small country the mountains really don't allow for direct travel. But the scenic route isn't too shabby and certainly is nothing to complain about.

Marie's whole family is talented and artistic each in different ways. This morning at my request, Marie's father took a picture of our breakfast which represents a typical Swiss breakfast. Soon after he snapped the above picture he disappeared. About five minutes later he reappeared with a freshly printed photograph that was signed and framed. I know I haven't really given you enough of a back story here but this was a special gift and a very sweet gesture. Also, I can't wait to hang this in my Kitchen so I can think of this visit everyday!

On their breakfast table was a selection of homemade jams made by Monika including plum, raspberry and quince, all of which were amazing! Though I think the plum was really my absolute favorite. There was also coffee (of course!), teas, a couple of different loaves of bread, croissants, ham, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, etc... it was quite a delectible spread with oh so many choices! Naturally, I had a little of everything convincing myself that I must have a hearty breakfast to prepare for the upcoming sledding activities on one of the near by mountains. In reality I really didn't think sledding would actually take any energy whatsoever since you just let gravity do all the work. However, strange as this may sound, it was sort of like doing 45 minutes of really super fun pilates ab work. By the time we finished we were three towns away from where we started!
On my train ride back to Gstaad I found out that Howard, my boyfriends brother, was in the middle of preparing a Thai dinner for us. I love curry's and Thai food in general. Also Howard is an amazing chef and can make just about anything ridiculously delicious. Actually he is the saucier at the Gramercy Tavern which just happens to be one of the best restaurants in New York City. Pretty impressive right?!?! So needless to say this news was the cherry on top of one of the best days ever!

No comments: