Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Clean living



This week I rediscovered something. Just because olive oil is good for you doesn't mean you can or should go crazy with it. SO, I am offering up an alternative for you to add to your cooking repertoire. Use this when you want something "light" or if you are bored with your food being greasy and/or always starting every dish with olive oil.

Get ready, here it comes... BROTH! I know you probably are already aware of this simple cooking method but it's easily forgotten so I just wanted to remind you and myself.

Chicken, vegetable or beef, organic, low sodium or however you like, there are many options for you to choose from when it comes to broth. While making your own broth is probably wonderful, who the hell has time for that? Cooks Illustrated magazine (aka the bible) tested a bunch of the most popular broths out there and named good ole school Swanson organic broth as their winner.

So instead of breading or frying try poaching in broth, water or wine and don't forget to add fresh herbs and peppercorns. People mostly poach fish and chicken but today for lunch I poached some thin strips of beef sort of like a Mongolian hot pot. Sorry, I didn't take a picture I left my camera at home but was a georgous looking and tasting lunch with bok choy, kale, bean sprouts, mushrooms, ginger and garlic.

If you are unfamiliar with poaching you basically bring the poaching liquid of your choice to a boil, drop your protein into the liquid and reduce to a simmer. Cooking time will vary depending on what you are cooking. I like to cut my red meat into skinny long strips and only cook it for about a minute or two so that it doesn't become rubbery. For more specific instructions click here for HOW TO POACH.

1 comment:

George Erdosh said...

Yes, a good broth gives excellent flavor to almost any dish. Yet a light browning of ingredients is essential to initiate the browning reaction that is the ultimate of flavor development in the kitchen. I have a whole chapter devoted to this flavor-inducing effect in my recently published book (Nov/08). Check it out:

“Tried and True Recipes from a Caterer’s Kitchen—Secrets of Making Great Foods”

www.eloquentbooks.com/TriedandTrueRecipes.html
www.howfoodswork.blogspot.com