Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Keri's choice


My job usually takes me to new and interesting places. They don't always have to be far and away or wildly exotic locations. Sometimes it's right here in my very own borough. Did you know if Brooklyn (Kings County) was it's own city it would be the fourth largest cities in the U.S. Crazy right? That said there are many parts of Brooklyn I have never explored.

Recently I was asked to style Keri Russell for Instyle magazine. The story is in the January issue, which is on stands this week, check it out! Did you know Keri lives in Brooklyn? The story follows Keri around to her favorite neighborhood spots, places she likes to visit on a typical weekend here in Brooklyn. I would like to take this moment to also mention she was an absolute dream to work with! Our first location was the corner of Grand Ave. and Lafayette Ave better know as Clinton Hill/Fort Greene. It was there that I discovered two great places right across the street from each other.



Choice Market (318 Lafayette Ave.) was Keri's pick for her favorite bakery/coffee joint. It's an unassuming neighborhood gem and I am thrilled to add it to my list. Everything is proudly on display behind glass cases. The croissants and pastries are picture perfect and look close to those you would find at a true French patisserie. I am sucker for a good buttery croissant and would definitely have a daily habit if this place were in my neighborhood. The very thought of them is making me drool. They also serve "real food" like slow roasted meats and vegetables, cold salads, warm sandwiches and soups. The half chicken on the bone is pretty tasty stuff. From what I have been reading it seems they are opening a new location in Dumbo. Lucky you Lombardo family!



I stumbled upon Grand Dakar (285 Grand Ave.) while in search of a bathroom, one of the many joys of being on location. The restaurant was not open yet since it was still pretty early but the owner Pierre Thiam was gracious enough to let me in. I had some time to kill since Keri was getting her hair and make up so Pierre and I got to talk. He told me about his new book which also happens to be his first book. Wanting to support my new friend I recently ordered myself a copy, which is available on Amazon.

The book it's self is really quite special. Native New Yorker and master of photography Adam Bartos tells us the story of Pierre's family and friends who are all pictured in the book along with photos of the actual dishes. It is very colorful, unpretentious and captures the essence of an everyday lifestyle. Senegalese food is known to have an unmistakable French influence however this book also boasts influences such as Creole, Portuguese and Vietnamese. The recipes are interesting and yet also seem to be very straightforward and uncomplicated. I am looking forward to making any one of these dishes I just can't decide which one to start with! And a little FYI...The majority of Senegalese are Muslim so pork is not really on the menu.

2 comments:

DUSKIN said...

you guys look so cute. i love fort greene, and i love her too.

she just wore duskin on conan!

woohoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV9QPNZdgLE

JULIA said...

you guys are beejing keri russell liek crazy hahaha!