Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mmmmm food


Firstly, Silkstone slow food now has their website up and running with their weekly menus.
SILKSTONE SLOWFOOD




Secondly, did you know the Essex Street Market is no longer ghetto? When I lived down there I would occasionally be forced to pick up a couple of produce items from there and would literally have to run in and run out with my nose plugged because the place was so foul with the smell of dried fish! I mean the fact that they have a web site blows my mind. I have to go see this with my own two eyes to believe it.
ESSEX STREET MARKET



Thirdly, I want to go visit Saxelby cheese in the "new and improved" Essex Street Market.
I don't mind the stench of cheese. You will find no European cheeses here but the owner seems confidant that she has found the same if not better cheeses here in our very own country!
SAXELBY CHEESE



Fourthly, my good friend, Laura, sent me a link to a Brooklyn based company called Sweet Deliverance NYC and it looks pretty sweet to me. They do ready made food deliveries to Manhattan and Brooklyn.
You pay $150 joining fee for the season to participate in a CSA (community supported agriculture) share program. Then of course there is the cost of the meals themselves which vary depending on your needs and wants. Every week they email you a menu of dishes made from local organic ingredients and you choose what you want from it. Voila, delicious food arrives at your door every Monday (or every other Monday). It is not a three meal a day kind of thing it is more a bunch of individual dishes you choose from, including dessert!
SWEET DELIVERANCE

My two cents? Oh, thanks for asking. This is not like the Co-Op because you don't have volunteer. And who has time for that anyways? It's also not like an organic produce delivery services because the food is completely ready made. And it's also not like most meal deliveries services which delivery three to five meals every single morning.

My only issue with organic produce delivery services during the winter months is that they send you a box of mostly root type vegetables. Now that really doesn't interest me. Most of the time you never end up cooking everything before your next delivery arrives. This is because some of the produce in your box might be foreign to you. For instance have you ever once bought a parsnip? What the hell do you do with it? Don't ask me, I don't like parsnips. I am sort of not really into root vegetables or tubers. Maybe one day. Personally, I think organic produce delivery is more genius in the summer and in the fall when there are so many heavenly fruits.

1 comment:

brooklynisbetter said...

great post - i work with the merchants at Essex Street Market - they are so much fun and love what they do. take a look at the music they had last Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uc_WbyN_uA

they got stuff happening every Sunday in December...stop on over again.